During September and October Susan and I embarked on a tour of several midwestern and western states, driving in our 2000 Toyota Siena van(215,000 miles before our trip)a total of 7,279 miles through 13 states. We were gone 33 days and spent the night in 21 different places. When we got home it dawned on us that we had been together virtually 24/7 for the entire trip with no major disagreements and without growing tired of each other. I think our marriage of 41 years will last.



Monday, December 19, 2011

Tuesday September 20: Oklahoma and Kansas

I’m not sure, but there may not be a more boring stretch of road than I-35 and I-135 north from Oklahoma City and then I-70 west from Salina KS.  We spent the night in Goodland KS just because it was about halfway between OK City and our next destination, Grand Lake CO.  It was quite easy to explore the entire city of Goodland (pop. 5,000), and the highlight of the day was discovering the 80-feet tall easel on which rested Van Gogh’s Sunflowers.  Along with the grain elevators, the grand easel dominated the skyline of Goodland.  We saw one local restaurant—a good ole boys’ bar and grill.  I had neither a pickup truck nor a gun nor a shirt with the sleeves cut out, so we opted for Wendy’s chili.

I’m not sure how this thing survives Kansas tornados.

IMG_1816

While Van Gogh dominates the skyline, the horizon in Goodland is dominated by Kansas corn.

IMG_1821

No comments:

Post a Comment